What is a Short Sale?
A Short Sale, also known as a pre-foreclosure sale, is when you sell your home for less than the balance remaining on your mortgage. If your mortgage company agrees to a Short Sale, you can sell your home and pay off all (or a portion of) your mortgage balance with the proceeds.
A Short Sale is an alternative to foreclosure and may be an option if:
- You are ineligible to refinance or modify your mortgage
- You are facing a long-term hardship
- You are behind on your mortgage payments
- You owe more on your home than it’s worth
- You have not been able to sell your home at a price that covers what you still owe on your mortgage
- You can no longer afford your home and are ready or need to leave
|Gather your financial information—Make sure you have your basic financial and loan information on hand when you call your mortgage company. You’ll need:
|Explain your current situation—Be ready to outline your current hardship and explain why you are having trouble making your mortgage payment, the reasons why this is a long-term problem and inform your mortgage company that you want to sell your home to avoid foreclosure. Your mortgage company will need to understand the reasons why you are having difficulty in order to find the right solution for you.|
|Contact your mortgage company or a Mortgage Help Center—Tell them you are interested in a Short Sale and you want to see if you qualify.|
|Contact X-Class Realtors licensed real estate agent—Let us know you are interested in listing your home for sale (if you have not already done so). Call 301-358-3399 for a free consultation.|